Whole grains are an important source of many nutrients including dietary fiber, B-vitamins, and minerals.
- Dietary Fiber – Can help reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease.
- B-vitamins – Essential for a healthy nervous system. They also help the body release energy from protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
- Iron – Many grain foods are fortified with iron which is used to carry oxygen to the blood.
- Magnesium – A mineral used in building bones and releasing energy from muscles.
- Selenium – Important for a healthy immune system.
To learn more about whole grains visit USDA MyPlate.